Monday, January 3, 2011

My New Years Board

I needed a bigger board here in North County due to the crowds some days. I wanted something I could paddle with against people riding noseriders, but I don't want a noserider right now. I am addicted to speed right now. Speed traveling on waves that is. This is a parabolic stringer blank, not that unlike a Bluegill. That is red foam out on the rails. The board is 8'10''. I did not want a longboard, but a progressive board. It is a wood fibreglass single fin. Single fins work better. The board has a sand finish to keep the weight down and is easier to hold on to.

This blank I have had a while. I picked it up before Walker Foam closed. I Thanked Harold and the Walker team when I shaped this board (to myself) for catalysing the movement to make quality foam. Before he began making foam again in the early 90's Clark foam was pretty crappy. A good board would delaminate in 6 months, ding, fill with water,and the board was ruined. Almost 20 years later foam is much better and I think it is Harold we must thank. The only problem now is boards last much longer and people order less surfboards (and blanks).

The board has a light double concave in the nose and the tail. I put this in to help catch waves, for close tolerance trimming and speed. This board is really fast, and to my surprise it noserides pretty good to.





1 comment:

  1. Hey Jon, love the single fin and idea of speed. I have always been into speed, via Joey Cabell. Lets keep this shape in mind for my board. Can't wait to talk H20 and concepts with you and Mickey.
    Cheers, Will

    ReplyDelete